Letter from Birmingham City Jail

Letter from Birmingham City Jail
Martin Luther King Jr.

"... You speak of our activity in Birmingham as extreme... But though I was initially disappointed at being categorized as an extremist, as I continued to think about the matter I gradually gained a measure of satisfaction from the label. Was not Jesus an extremist for love: "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." Was not Amos an extremist for justice: "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream." Was not Paul and extremist for the Christian gospel: "I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." and John Bunyon: "I will stay in jail to the end of my days before I make a butchery of my conscience." ... So the question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be. ... I also hope that circumstances will soon make it possible for me to meet each of you, not as an integrationist or a civil rights leader but as a fellow clergy-man and a Christian brother..." (Bennett, William J. "The Book of Virtues." pg.258-262)

I can remember learning about Martin Luther King Jr. in public school, but we were never taught that he was a Baptist minister. His biblical worldview and use of it as just cause for his battles were conveniently left out.

Posted byAnonymous at 1/20/2008  

4 comments:

Anonymous said... 1/22/2008 1:00 PM  

Did your teacher's also leave out MLK's affairs and dirty private life? At least here it is no secret that he was a minister but all the liberals want to make a hero out of him so they leave out the details about how he treated his wife.

Anonymous said... 1/22/2008 1:19 PM  

But we should be also quick to remember Romans 3:22-25 (NIV)

"..There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

The point is we are all sinners, but his actions did have some bases in a theistic worldview which is omitted from public schools. Keep in mind I am not justifying his sinful actions; however, I am publicizing the disregard of public schools toward a Christian worldview - the only one which develops a character of integrity.

Anonymous said... 1/22/2008 6:23 PM  

ok... that makes sense (I wouldn't expect you to defend sinful actions...) My father just brought me up not respecting him very much... however, Im finding out that my homeschooling may have been just as biased (but in a better way) as the public school teaching im getting now.

Anonymous said... 1/22/2008 6:25 PM  

that makes sense... I was brought up not respecting him very much, however Im finding that my homeschooling was almost as biased (but in a better way) as the public schooling Im getting now...

Post a Comment