Everything is Meaningless


Ecclesiastes 1:2 (NIV)
"Meaningless! Meaningless!"
says the Teacher.
"Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless."


Everything we do under the sun is meaningless. That is if we don't do it for God's glory. But what caught my eyes during a Sunday morning service was:

Ecclesiastes 1:11 (NIV)
"There is no remembrance of men of old,
and even those who are yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow."


Attending a memorial service for a church elder, Bob, that lived what we would consider a worthy life, would cause anyone to say "What?" to this verse. On his death bed, he choose songs and scripture for his memorial service. Why? Memorial services, gravestone, and funerals are not for the dead, but for the living. We try to feel better about the death of a loved one by attempting to contain memories of their life. But yet, this is meaningless.

Researching genealogy brings me to wonder what my family was like. The stories of my forefathers were forgotten, never told, or maybe purposefully hidden. There was no remembrance of these men, except for names that were written in a document. I can recall memories of my grandfather, but yet my children did not know him. If they, my fore-fathers, wanted remembrance for something they did, it was utterly meaningless. The family knows nothing of the lives of our fore-fathers.

As for Bob, choosing his songs and scripture for his memorial service, he knew the answer. Bob had an insight that many men tend to over-see or reject. I too do not want to be remembered for what I did; however, I wanted people to remember what God has done in my life. The patents I have my name on, the toys I've acquired, my projects, and even the number of children I have are all meaningless. All is lost, if I do not do it for the glory of God.

This is why it is important for fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers to tell their sons and daughters what God has done in their life. This gives the generations memories that are Christ centered. The family stories of what God has done generates a family Heritage of Honor, honor that is serving to the Lord and Father.

Posted byAnonymous at 11/20/2007  

0 comments:

Post a Comment